In today’s world of computing, even while many consumers choose to use tablets and smartphones as their primary devices, laptops remain immensely popular both in corporate settings and in family homes.
Whether they are using the Windows or Mac operating system, laptops run on powerful hardware that decades ago couldn’t be found in the highest level of supercomputers.
For many people, laptops are used to accomplish basic tasks such as word processing, internet browsing, and music listening. That last one has a hardware factor of its own.
Most modern laptops are outfitted with both a headphone port and a set of stereo speakers built into the keyboard casing or the side of the display screen. However, these built-in speakers typically offer poor sound quality and few configuration options.
Investing in a set of external speakers for your laptop is a wise decision for anyone who cares about audio quality or is planning to do a lot of music editing from their machine. As you start to search for such products on popular retail sites, you’ll find an overwhelming list of results.
In this article, we’ll cover some of the most popular options and help you find the best laptop speakers for you.
- Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers
- Both speaker inputs use the standard 3.5 mm headphone jack, so they are compatible with all types of computers and devices.
- Volume control is located on the front of the right speaker and has an indent to make it easy to use in the dark.
- Two speakers combined offer 22 watts total.
Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers Review
These Bose speakers offer a high level of sound quality no matter what volume is being played. Two input ports are available, meaning you can connect both a laptop and a smartphone at the same time and play audio from either one.
The Bose Companion 2 Series III works well with computer games and movies as sound will stretch across the room.
There are some downsides, though. The Bose Companion 2 Series III is at a higher price point than entry-level laptop speakers.
Plus, No support for wireless playback or USB power charging. Overall, it is a great buy, with the quality of sound and unmatched durability.
- Outstanding sound quality
- Extensive volume
- Can be connected to two devices simultaneously
- High price point
- No USB power charging
- Premium Pick – Klipsch R-41PM
- Has a built-in all-digital amplifier and aluminum tweeters.
- Magnetic grille on the front of each speaker can be removed if desired.
- Supports compatibility with older turntables as well as modern devices.
Klipsch R-41PM Review
These are heavy-duty bookshelf speakers from Klipsch that offer superior sound quality without needing a separate audio receiver. The unit includes a Bluetooth support to stream audio from your laptop via a wireless connection.
There is also an option to use a USB input cable eliminates the need for you to manage auxiliary cords.
The downside is its high price tag despite the speakers having a small footprint and measuring at less than 10 inches tall.
All in all, the Klipsch R-41PM speaker is a nice choice if you are aiming for high quality sound and want to enjoy its vast array of features.
- Heavy-duty built
- Supports wireless connection
- Great sound quality
- Doesn’t require receiver
- No volume knob at the front
- Not affordable
- Best Value – Creative Pebble
- Offers enhanced bass reproduction thanks to rear-facing passive radiators.
- Front panel features a simple control knob to turn power on and adjust volume.
- Can start using in seconds with any device that has a 3.5 mm audio jack.
Creative Pebble 2.0 USB Powered Desktop Speakers Review
The Creative Pebble has a modern, orb-shaped design that sits at a 45-degree angle for optimal sound projection. It is great for home or office with each speaker measuring at only 4.4 inches wide.
Creative Pebble 2.0 USB Powered Desktop Speakers are available in black or white finish to match with your other equipment and furniture.
The quality of sound is good, but don’t try maximizing the volume or it will give you a crackling sound. Overall, it is a good speaker choice for laptops and computers, not to mention that it is very affordable, too.
- High quality sound
- Affordable price
- Gives you the bang for your buck
- Nice design
- Compact and lightweight
- Mediocre sound quality at high volume
- Best Budget – Rokono BASS+
- Weighs only 3 ounces.
- Can be paired with multiple speakers for a louder sound.
- Includes a 40mm audio driver to support bass resonance.
Rokono BASS+ Mini Speaker Review
The compact ball-shaped design from Rokono makes it easy to transport wherever you use your laptop. Its battery charges with a USB cable and can support over 10 hours of continuous playback. It comes with a travel bag that is waterproof and will help keep your speaker dry.
The downside of the Rokono Rokono BASS+ Mini Speaker is its rather short audio cable, which may require an extension cord depending on where you use your laptop.
There’s also a tendency you’ll experience inconsistency in sound quality, but overall, the sound quality is great. Maybe there’s just some issue with the connection.
This will be a good buy: sound quality, lightweight, and compact size, plus the price at about $20 is a steal.
- Compact and lightweight
- Mobile speaker
- Comes with a waterproof bag
- Supports up to 10 hours of playback with full charge
- USB charging
- Inconsistent sound quality
- Best Features – Logitech S120 2.0
- 50Hz-20KHz bandwidth with 2.3 watt output power.
- Compatible with any audio device that works with a headphone jack, including phones or tablets.
- Comes with a three-year limited warranty to cover damage and maintenance.
Logitech S120 2.0 Stereo Speakers Review
This laptop speakers from Logitech consists of a thin, compact design, making them easy to fit on a crowded desk where you use your laptop.
No software is required with these speakers, as set-up only requires the power cord and headphone cable to be connected.
One of the speakers has a simple knob control that can be used to turn on the device on or off and adjust the volume level.
It is a bit heavy for its size, but for a ten-dollar speaker set, it is a good steal and a value for your money.
- Easy to connect
- Can be used for different device
- No software needed
- Controls are easy to adjust
- Audio quality is so-so
- Distracting LED light
- Small but heavy
- Best Compact – Logitech Z50
- Includes a 2.25-inch driver that produces 5 watts of power.
- Entire speaker weighs just over half a pound.
- Supports plug-and-play functionality with both Mac and Windows laptops, plus any other music-playing device you use.
Logitech Z50 Review
The Logitech Z50 is a single-speaker setup that boasts serious levels of sound. Ideal for laptops, tablets, and smartphones, it offers an extra audio input port so that you can connect multiple laptops or devices at the same time. It is available in three stylish colors: gray, blue, or pink.
Since the speaker does not have its own volume controls, you have to rely on whatever device you use with it. There’s no USB cable option, so users have to manage separate cords for audio and power connections.
It lacks a lot of features, but it can still serve its purpose and for around sixteen dollars, you get a reliable laptop speaker that does the trick.
- Quality sound
- Multiple device connectivity
- Stylish and comes in three colors
- Lacks a lot of features
- No volume controls
- No USB
- Best Design – ARVICKA
- USB cable can be used with any basic power adapter if you prefer to plug it in to a wall outlet.
- USB cable is 43 inches and the audio cable is 59 inches.
- Comes with a two-year warranty with customer service available over the phone.
ARVICKA Computer Speaker Review
The square shape of the ARVICKA speakers makes it easy to fit on any desk or pack up for travel with total weight only 0.67 pounds. It does not require a separate electrical adapter as the speakers are powered through the included USB cable.
With ARVICKA Computer Speaker, there’s no setup time required as these speakers are compatible with any computer or device that has a headphone jack.
Moreover, it includes the option to illuminate the power light or have it turned off by default. The drawback is it has no option to customize equalizer, which is not really an issue as this speaker has good sound quality.
- Easy to fit anywhere
- USB powered
- Compatible with any device
- Lacks special features
- Quality of sound diminishes as volume turns up
- Most Affordable – AmazonBasics USB
- AC power cord is 52 inches long, audio cable is 55 inches long, and the two speakers are connected by a 46-inch audio cable.
- Audio frequency is 68 Hz – 20 KHz and the speakers have 4.6 watts of total RMS power.
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty to cover accidental damage and product malfunctions.
AmazonBasics USB-Powered Computer Speakers Review
The AmazonBasics speakers are easy to set up, requiring only an AC power outlet and any device with a 3.5mm headphone jack.
This model actually comes with a headphone jack of its own on the front panel, allowing you to switch to private listening at any time. Turning on the speakers and adjusting the volume can be done with one finger using the control knob on the front.
The speakers are heavier than similar models and could be less flexible to transport with your laptop. Below the volume knob is a bright blue light that is illuminated whenever the speakers are on and can be distracting plus it doesn’t support wireless functionality.
This speaker can be a good choice if you are on a budget, but don’t expect too much from it.
- Easy to set up
- Available headphone jack
- Easy to set up
- Available headphone jack
Frequently Asked Questions: Laptop Speakers
How do I choose a good laptop speaker?
The majority of speakers offer similar functionality, so as you research options and read through reviews, it’s important to keep a couple of points in mind.
If you don’t want cables tangled on your desk, then look for speakers with Bluetooth wireless support. Also, consider the size, weight, and footprint of the speakers when planning out how your workspace will be organized.
Does USB sound better than aux?
Yes, typically a digital USB connection will offer a superior sound quality than a normal 3.5 mm auxiliary cable that is used with basic headphones. With a USB connection, the digital audio does not have to be converted to an analog signal. However, auxiliary cables are supported by more types of devices and computers.
Is USB better than 3.5 mm?
Yes, when using a 3.5 mm audio cable with a computer, tablet, or smartphone all of the data has to be converted from a digital connection to an analog one. This means the sound quality will suffer slightly. You may not notice it when using headphones, but with more powerful speakers the difference will be obvious. Speakers that support USB connections will maintain a pure digital connection.